Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Exterior Design

Over the weekend, when the snow was melting into slippery puddles, and the sunny glint of the bright white made it hard to see, I felt the first hint of spring.  As my dog tried to navigate his way through, my mind was elsewhere, dreaming of upcoming warm days.
I can't wait for the hint of green, and it makes me want to start planning my fantasy garden.  Two years ago I was lucky enough to spend a part of the summer traipsing through gardens in Tuscany- observing, watercoloring, and enjoying the spaces.  The interesting thing about an Italian garden is the formality.  Restraining and shaping nature to create an organized environment that aims to transport you to another place.  Or at least a place that provides a little shade from the sweltering heat or a hidden nook for a garden tryst.  The funny thing about the gardens was the element of surprise-  hidden statue or jet of water right around the corner.
The most beautiful ones though, are those that are rough around the edges.  Kind of overgrown, reverting back to the way it used to be.
I desperately want to design a rambling backyard later in life- preferably my own?   Until that time, I'll make do with the houseplants.














No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?