Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mirror Trickery

My current obsession is mirrors that are lit from behind.  If clothing shops are smart, they have these in the changing rooms, as they are incredibly flattering.  They replicate the kind of evenly diffused light that you get when you use a light umbrella on a photo shoot.  Not harsh, but since there are no shadows (i.e. on your face, that your nose makes when the light comes from above) you can see a lot of detail.  You always appear to have a glow, due to the balance of light.  I stayed in a cool hotel this weekend that had one in the bathroom.  Nice choice!  A backlit mirror is on my list of things to build- that and eighty other projects.  I'd offset the mirror 2-3" from the wall with any kind of frame (prob plywood), and mount strip lights facing out from the frame.
Additionally, I'm working on a lighting fixture right now for a group show in November.  Using lots of chrome.  Am I in over my head?  Maybe. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?