Monday, November 9, 2009

Dreamy William!

I thought it was time to share my love for the one and only William Morris- prominent architect, writer, and textile designer of the Arts & Crafts movement.  Normally I am drawn to contemporary designs, but for some inexplicable reason, his designs have always put me into a dreamlike state.  Maybe his patterns are actually capable of hypnosis.  One of the allures to me is the careful balance, like in the negative space.  The time and meticulous effort put into each design is one of the hallmarks of the movement.  When studying in Florence I was able to see some pietra dura, inlaid marble, that inspired his distinctive acanthus pattern.  Being in that spot was more incredible than I can say. So I'll let his work speak for itself.  










The man himself.


I am unsure how I feel about Flavor Paper's recent interpretation.  Let's play I-Spy, what is different besides the color?:

[I am into a lot of their other stuff, however.  I am all for a strategic wallpaper revolution.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?