Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Holiday Hiatus has Come to a Halt!

I've emerged from the wintry holiday depths, slightly worn from flu, minus one busted computer.  Poor Rodney, you can never be quite up to par!  In all seriousness, pardon the unannounced disappearing act, 'twas rude of me, but I hope your New Years was festive!
Lately, I've been fantasizing about having a fantastic apartment with an assortment of plastic/acrylic furniture and accessories.  We're talking totally transparent here.  It's actually been a casual interest that's been brewing for quite some time.  Now that I am kind of an adult, and buying things for my apartment is an option, it's starting to become an obsession.  Actually I brainstormed for a while about witty names for this entry, including, but not limited to:
The Clear Choice
I Can See Clearly Now
You're SO Transparent
On a Clear Day...
There's a backstory and here it is.  This whole thing started when my good friend told me of a little fellow named Philippe Starck.  His Louis Ghost Chair, designed in 2002, is a remake of a classic Louis XV armchair.  Perhaps you've seen it?  The twist, however, was that instead of wood and upholstery, he explored an entirely contrary material- plastic.  Or, injection-molded polycarbonate, to be correct.  A stunning interpretation, creating a new form and an at first baffling structure, all the while leaving behind wisps of the original.  (I do not suggest YouTube searching because you will just get a video of a ghostly rocking chair.)
So time passed, and when I was studying abroad, I had the fun task to be involved planning a fashion show.  So naturally we wanted it to be fabulous, and we needed to rent chairs.  The team of people I was working with got really jazzed over the idea of renting a roomful of Ghost Chairs, and maintained the blissful image in our heads for a few days- until we found out it'd be several thousand pounds for one day.  Needless to say, the functional black ones we ended up with didn't quite quench the idea we all envisioned.
Fast forward a few months, and I was touring the Palazzo Pitti in Florence.  Incredible frescoes, trompe l'oeil, statues, fountains, etc.  Then I walked around the corner, and there was this:

Fantasy! Come true! I relished in the glamour of it all.  But honestly, the material is so refreshingly modern, and I don't feel like it takes away from the original room at all.  That's a difficult task to achieve.  So my point is, I think the material is flexible enough to work in a wide variety of spaces. And plus, you'd definitely get cool points.  If you don't overdo it (which might end up looking futuristic and/or 80's). 
A clear craze has definitely leaked to the mass market.  Here are some other things I've had my eye on-

Peekaboo Console from CB2 (also great when used as a desk- probably would encourage neatness skills)

Tobias Chair from Ikea (don't heckle me for blogging about Ikea!)

Glass Coffee Table from BoConcept
And lastly- here's something new in the realm of ghostliness- from Design Drift, an art and design duo out of The Netherlands, comes their interpretation (of Starck's interpretation...)  Spooky.

Dezeen


No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?