Sunday, September 27, 2009

September, you minx!

I blink for one second and the month is nearly gone.
Alas, lots to discuss. I went to the New Island Festival on Governor's Island earlier in the month. For being only an 8-minute ferry from Manhattan, its got a whole different feel. Kind of like historic suburban Philadelphia. The main action was in (eight?) historic houses that surrounded a central grassy area. In each house was a different design or cultural group, and in the middle were sculptures or installations (left). All in celebration of Dutch design. The organization and design of the event was very cohesive and intriguing from day one, including the humorously disorienting signs during the event. And another point- each group of people coming off the boat was required to witness a nonchalant ribbon-cutting ceremony, complete with full Dutch fanfare. Make what you wish of that.
I'm getting increasingly interested in honing my graphic design skills. At work I've been learning tips and tricks, though I am looking for some means of lessons to get a solid education. Maybe a podcast? I want to explore typography first.
Speaking of podcasts, I've devoured almost every episode of NYC History by the Bowery Boys. The intro is enough to get you hooked. Coney Island part I and II are my favorites.
And lastly, progress on the loft-front. Long-set concrete columns and beams have posed a problem in several areas. By means of crafty C-clamps and spare bamboo, we were able to devise a way to hang our curtains off the mullions of our 18' x 10' window. Since our housewarming, we've been edging the house into better shape. It is difficult with three different tastes- minimalist, eclectic, and functional- and opposing schedules. But we're making it work, and I'm getting increasingly proud of my new domesticity. Here's to Red Hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?