Friday, September 4, 2009

Work-Type Observation

Also working in home furnishing retail, I've been learning a lot about the inner goings-on of a large corporation. How about these vocab words: order points, back flow, goods dominance? Alright, I still don't understand the last one, but I'll pick it up eventually. Contrasting this is what I'm learning -both taught and observational- from my internship about running a small business. The differences are interesting, though I suppose anyone who has worked for a national or international brand/store can attest that its rigid structure may at times be stifling. Also interesting are the similarities, which tend to stem from the basic concepts of the companies, i.e. wanting to enhance the home life of the consumer. At this point in my career, I'm prepared to be sponge-like and disregard my (collegiate-based) aversion to Business.
Though to balance, I've been doing more creative things on the side. Working on the loft brings me great pleasure, as always. I built a desk for myself out of some sanded plywood (street find) after getting frustrated about the hunchback situation I created for myself. New issues to tackle are leaky pipe, curtains, and oven. (Yes, oven. Spare the joke.. it's hot out!)
Housewarming party is coming up, and it is the goal for getting the house into working order. I'll take some glamour shots of the finished product. I can't wait to see it myself, actually.
*One more note. Next week is Fashion Week. Does New York have a design week? Where designers open their studios and shmooze each other? When and where!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?