Monday, July 19, 2010

UK -> NY

When it comes to a British Invasion, I'm all for it.  Give me the street markets, quaint bookstores, kids with accents talking about the Queen's jewels.  Lay it on me Union Jack.
That's why yesterday at Union Square I was pleasantly surprised to see the implementation of an Oystercard-style Metrocard.  It's been in the works since last year, when one of the brainchilds of the Underground hopped the pond to be a chair of MTA.  London's got most American cities whooped with their highly efficient transportation system.  The tube goes all over, and the bus goes everywhere you're too lazy to walk to.  With the tap-and-go system, you're in and out of there.  They're trying out some kind of debit/credit card chip system first, which I have but it never works.  So looks like they're getting the kinks out now.  I'm glad however, that they're calling it a Smartcard instead of naming after seafood.
Accordingly, the Brit section of ICFF was my favourite.  Including this trompe l'oeil bookcase wallpaper by Deborah Bowness and a plethora of cool tiles by Dominic Crinson (this one's a Cityscape on London but he had a Manhattan one on display). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What about you?